Thursday 11 August 2011

India: pissing.and.pottering

While they were being kettled in the UK, tea was boiling over in the US. London is burning. Greece and Spain were kicking. Chile is currently screaming. The middle east rocked the world.

And we threw a tantrum.

The most radical of protests and national movements we saw in recent times was that of an already old man, deciding to make his anyway imminent death, worth some while in history. He decided to fast unto death. And he had the country up in storm- Over morality and ethics. As for corruption, “we need stricter laws!” of course.

This is not to say that I wished we had looted and committed arson. But this is to juxtapose our protest with that of the world’s and show you how feeble we really are. Being feeble is not the same as being ‘pacifist.’ It really is just plain old jane old passive. It’s a Gandhian hangover perhaps. But what excuse do we give for our misguided sheep mentality?

The fact is Anna Hazare SAID he would give up his life, but he didn’t. He ate. And that’s not a fast UNTO death. That’s a fast unto publicity or a fast unto fame.

Anna’s highly original and innovative Plan B, is Jail Bharo.

We are not ready for Jail Bharo.

When I met a young man at an India Against Corruption rally, he said, “I am fasting.” I asked, “Since when?” “Morning I didn’t have breakfast…lunch also, I have not yet had it..” he replied. “For how long will you fast?” was my last question. To which he said, “Till I start feeling very hungry…”

We won’t fill jails. The ones who will, will be party workers. The rest of us just want to get to work on time. The ones who understand what it means to honour your word and lay down your life for what you believe in, are not in this country. They live in others. At the risk of being beaten, arrested or even killed, the do what they have to do for their country.

5 comments:

ethan.desouza said...

I totally agree. I am obviously, against corruption and I'm happy that at least some things are being done about it now, for example, B.S. Yeddyurappa.

And there was that other guy, the Sai baba wanna be.

It's weird. As far as I'm concerned, all of them are out just to make money.

Sunil Noronha said...

How do you hit nail one head so easily? :P

"The rest of us just want to get to work on time." That's the working rule of life :P

We fail to realise that it's impossible to lose our freedom. We only abuse it.

And, now, go study :D

passing by said...

'Gandhian hangover', liked it.
I was waiting for a post from you on this issue and loved to read it, a crisp and bold view.
Chiefly it's the anti-corruption sentiment(some protesters do add up their resentment on issue of reservation) widespread among the people that's fueling the 'movement'. But only if making laws made things better, Ambedkar could have eradicated the caste system.

What I observed most of the people came to Ramlila ground as someone would go to a fair or some gathering. Shout slogans, sing songs, get themselves photographed and videographed holding Tiranga and spicy banners.
And yeah on Sunday(today) the crowd was overwhelming, 'biker gangs' and 'enlightened youth' popping their torso out of the car windows shouting out Vande Mataram and Jai Hind slogans, getting motivation from a passing by female on the road and pitching their voices higher. Plus, traffic rules, they are all 'Annas' so they don't have to worry about them.
By the way, do go to Ramlila Ground(if you haven't been there yet) the snacks and lunch being served there is quite good, organised by volunteers for the visitors who come to support Anna's fast.

kicking.and.screaming said...

Hello passing by,

I agree with you on the law front. As for these activists and protestors, some time back I would have lauded the movement for getting people together. But now Im not quite ok with this half baked analysis. So here I am at the risk of being elitist.

I have lots more to say on this, stay with me, I really hope I can put something up this week.

Hamza Farooq said...

I sat down for a little chat with Anna the other day. We had some chai & biscuits and discussed his plans for the future. If the politicians don't come clean, he'll slip into a pair of black tights, put on a mask and drag them down to his secret den. The rest you can imagine since you're already familiar with his methods of punishment.